Statement of Faith
As a Christian constituency of Bible believers, we at Commerce Community Church subscribe to the following Declaration of things which are believed among us.
1. The Holy Scriptures: We believe the Bible is God's Holy Word. It was written by individuals divinely inspired, both the Old Testament and New Testament (2 Peter 1:21). We believe that it is the supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct, and that the Holy Scriptures present to us the complete Revelation of God's divine will for the salvation of humanity. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
2. The Godhead: Our God is a Trinity manifested in three persons; the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. God being the Father, is the Creator of all. Jesus Christ was begotten of the Father, accepting the robe of flesh, being the True God-True Man, conceived by the Holy Ghost and born of the Virgin Mary. He died upon the cross and all who believe in Him are justified by His shed blood. He arose from the dead and is now at the right hand of Father God. He is our intercessor and Great High Priest, and He will return again to establish His kingdom of righteousness and justice. Jesus Christ, being the Son, is the Co-Creator with God. The Holy Ghost is a Divine person, Executor of the God-head on earth, the Comforter sent by Jesus Christ to indwell guide, illuminate and teach the believer. He is the Spirit of Truth.
3. Humanity - the Fall - Redemption: Man is a created being made in the likeness and image of God; but through Adam's transgression, rebellion and fall, sin came into the world (Romans 5:12, 3:23, 3:10). Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was manifested to undo the work of the devil, and through Jesus' shed blood on Calvary, redeemed and restored man back to God (John 3:8). Salvation is a gift of God to man through our Lord Jesus Christ.
4. The Church: The true Church is the living spiritual body of Jesus Christ (Col. 1:18, Eph. 4:15), Christ being Head. The Church is made up of born-again believers, born of the Spirit and by the Word (1 Peter 1:23).
5. Ministry: We believe that God calls men and women by His Holy Spirit to serve as Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, Counselors, and Teachers for the perfecting of the saints (Ephesians 4:11-12). We believe that the Father also called men and women to serve in the nations of the world, to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ and that the laity of the Church has a responsibility to serve the area of Deacons and Elders and in the ministry of Helps.
6. Concerning Sacraments... acts instituted by Jesus Christ:
a. Water Baptism: Immersion is a direct command of our Lord Jesus Christ (Matt. 28:19) for the born-again believer.
b. Spirit Baptism: We believe in the Baptism of the Holy Ghost and fire (Matt. 3:11). It is a gift of God, promised by the Lord Jesus Christ to all believers in this dispensation and is given after salvation (John 14:16-17, Acts 1:8, 2:4, 38-39, 10:44-48). This immersion/baptism in the Spirit is evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Holy Spirit gives utterance. This is the physical sign of the inward fulfillment. We believe in the operation of the Gifts of the Spirit (1 Cor. 12:4-17).
c. The Lord's Supper: The sacrament of the Lord's Supper was instituted by Jesus Christ and is a Memorial to His death and Resurrection (1 Cor. 11:26-27). The Bread and the Fruit of the Vine become an expression of the Body and Blood of our Saviour when blessed, broken and given (Matt. 26:29, Mark 14:22, Luke 22:18). We believe that the Lord's Supper should be received often, kept sacred and that the children should be taught this worship at an early age. We also believe in the humility of foot washing, as set forth by our Lord Jesus Christ.
d. Intercession: We believe in prayer for the sick, prayer for deliverance, the laying on of hands, the Anointing with Holy Oil and intercession of the Spirit (Mark 16:18, James 5:14-15, Romans 8:26).
e. Rapture-Revelation-Eternal Life: We believe the Word of God teaches us, "This same Jesus shall come in like manner..." (Acts 1:11). His coming is imminent (1 Thess. 4:16-17). We believe in the Thousand Year Reign of Revelation 20:6. We also believe that it is unwise to teach a fixed time for His return, but to exhort readiness at all times (Matt. 24:43). Eternal life is spent in heaven or hell. We believe that if one dies in an unregenerate condition, he is eternally lost (Heb. 9:27, Matt. 25:41-46).